“The local church is the hope of the world’-Bill Hybells. This simply means , the church is a solution to the problems the world`s experiencing. Meet Soul Touch International whose priority is to be church to the vulnerable children in slums around Kampala.
1. What is Soul Touch?
Soul Touch International is a registered Christian organisation that was initiated by a group of university students in 2011; under the leadership of Ronald Amanya to respond to God`s call to preach the gospel and help needy children in slums, believing that every sinner can turn into a saint and every slave can become a master given time and opportunity. We focus on gospel missions, student outreach and child care. Child care is handled under the soul care project.
2. How do you get the kids under soul care project?
They are recommended by a school, church, police or organizations in the community. The soul care team follows up the child in order to get full recommendation from the local council of that community and then the family`s consent. Parents need to give us permission to take on their children .
We take on kids who are deemed to be needy, vulnerable or less advantaged from the slum communities of Katanga, Bwaise, Kasokoso, Kawala and Mulago. We register children between 5-9 years. The idea is to evolve with them upto university level.
3. How many kids did you start with in 2011 and how many do you have currently?
We started with only 2 children (Paul and Denis) from Katanga who were not attending school at that time because their parents lacked school fees and other scholastic materials.
We currently have 30 children under our Soul care project .They are all enrolled into various Nursery and Primary schools for example Batvalley, Buganda road, St.Martin, Kawala Junior,and many others.
4.What more do you offer the children besides school fees and taking care of their school needs?
- Mentor-ship where we connect them with mentors who can inspire them to fulfill their dreams.
- Family empowerment involves helping the parents of the children start up their own small businesses so they are able to sustain their families. It also involves visiting with the families and praying with them to ten to their emotional and spiritual needs.
5.Challenges Soul Touch has faced since it’s inception.
- Financial constraints since the budget expenses are always high especially when school begins.
- Fundraising is tedious since the term NGOs and money has over the years received a bad reputation.
- Rent since we have to maintain an official address.
- Soul Touch International is a growing organisation with most of our staff being volunteers who are not easy to depend on as their commitment and experience is not reliable.
6. What are your sustainability plans?
- In partnership with Makerere Palliative care unit,we started a piggery project in Wakiso which can partly support the organisation.
- We have started teaching our children to make crafts which we will in turn sell off .
7.How can people partner with Soul Touch International?
- Sponsor a child at only 70,000 or 20 USD.
- Be a mentor to a child
- Volunteer with us
- Donate any amount of money monthly or annually.
8.Where is Soul Touch International located?
Location: Makerere Kikoni near canani land
Facebook:Soul Touch International or soul care project