Every one of us has been called to something in life-a purpose that our creator knows. Imagine my surprise when I heard that two of my friends actually make CAKE!!??? Mind you I had known the for a while and but didn`t know the cake bit until I tasted a cake that was heavenly : only to be told it was made by Jakin. I had to quickly sit down with Jakin founders for a chat.
1.Describe Jakin a few words.
Jakin : Jakin Confectionery International Ltd is a bakery run by two ladies,co-founders; Kirabo Josephine and Namasa Sheila. We have explored a number of flavors ranging from coconut, vanilla, strawberry,mint, bubble gum to pineapple and lemon.We desire to create an environment where we are not just about hardworking, being excellent, and so on but there’s an extra ingredient of caring, to create success.
2.When did Jakin start?
Jakin: Jakin Started in 2014 but as a part-time business or “side hustle.”We went full time in 2016 and took a step further and had it registered on the 4th of July, 2017.
3.What does “Jakin” mean ?
Jakin :JAKIN means He(God) Establishes.
4.Did you go to baking school or are you a google student?
Josephine: I learnt from google for a while and largely from friends who bake and I am currently enrolled in a baking school – Eunice`s Kitchen. So I can say I have been both.
Sheila: I learnt some baking from an institute and now I largely use the internet,making me a google student.
5. Is baking a long time passion for both of you or was it born out of necessity? What else are you passionate about?
Josephine: Well, I didn’t know I was passionate about cake, I knew I loooved food but not specifically cake and when I got on the discovery journey, cake was what I found. All I can say is, it was a hidden passion .I enjoy doing research work and working with KIN ministries.
Sheila: I have always loved eating cake, so when the opportunity came to start baking, I never hesitated. I love to read.
6.Achievements /milestones for Jakin.
- The ability to give back to society(Social responsibility). This is one of our goals and we have been able to bring it into action by giving out 2 free cakes every two months to an orphanage where we celebrate and eat cake with these children.
- Celebrate staff and their families. Much as we are about business, we are also about showing care to one another and we do this through things like; celebrating birthdays for staff and their families, having staff outings.
- Skills empowerment which has been done through carrying out of trainings, some have been on a one on one basis ,others on a group basis.
7. Challenges you have faced since the startup phase.
- Abrupt cake orders, where some clients call and want the cake that very day. This sometimes ,puts a strain on us especially, if we haven’t re-stocked yet. We don’t cancel because we want to go out of our way and be there for our clients.
- Prices on the market for cake ingredients. Prices keep increasing left and right and yet clients expect you to be consistent with your price, some of them when you increase and give reasons why, they decide to refuse to order with you.
- Transportation. Sometimes cakes get cracks because of how they were poorly transported, making the client complain.8.Share some lessons you have gained since the start of Jakin.
- Customer Care is very essential. As a starting business, it’s always to remember this, because you don’t just want to deliver your product but also to leave a good impact. Some people sometimes come back because they were treated well.
- Never forget to pay yourself. However small the payment might be, do it, it’s a way of appreciating and motivating yourself and your team.
- Always keep records of all payments and expenses. This helps one know how the company is progressing.
- Obey the law of the land. Legalise your company. Sometimes you won`t take on business deals because you are not registered. So to avoid this, one needs to legalize their business.
9.How has your social media presence impacted your business?
Well more people have gotten to know about the bakery like what we are about, why we do what we do, our products etc.
Connect with us on Facebook-Jakin Confectionery-https://tinyurl.com/y8l6ru7t
We are Located Mutungo Zone 1,Along Kintu Road
10. Which people have inspired and mentored you since the start of the Jakin journey?
We don`t know everything and mentoring helps us harness a skill and master it. A number of ladies including ;Lynnet Birungi , Dr. Eunice Adubangu, Mrs. Sylvia and Mercelorna Ainembabazi.
Racheal Kizza © 2017